Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful For...

{1} A little boy who stayed home from school and snuggled up close to his mama all day.


{2} Progress!


{3} Girls night out in 4 days and counting...

{4} Finding a planner I love, so I don't have to design my own...ain't nobody got time for that! (Okay, well, I started designing my own, and then life happened...so here I am)

{5} A warm home while we wait for ours - filled with love & babysitters (!) & good food & laughter (& sometimes snarling) & wifi for the iPad. What more do we need?!

{6} 20 Things We Should Say More Often - these are good.  Thanks, Kid President.

{7} That this little boy will be home with his forever family on Thanksgiving.



{8} A Million Little Ways: Uncover the Art You Were Made to Live, by Emily P. Freeman.  I'm only on the second chapter - but so far, this:

Have you noticed how God does things?  Have you considered the way he colors the sky?  Or the smallest details int he blades of grass or grains of sand beneath your feet?  Is he only a God of right answers and right angles and acceptable behavior?  Have we exalted the will of God and the plans of God above God himself?  

He does not manage us, to-do list us, or bullet-point us.  He loves us.  Is with us.  And believing him feels impossible, until we do, like a miracle, like lukewarm water turning merlot red right there in the cup.  And hope sprouts new, because God doesn't give us a list.  He invites us into the story.  

God is not a technician.  God is an Artist.  This is the God who made you.  The same God who lives inside you.  He comes into us, then comes out of us, in a million little ways.  

That's why there's freedom, even in the blah.  Hope, even in the dark.  Love, even in the fear.  Trust, even as we face our critics.  And believing in the midst of all that?  It feels like strength and depth and wildflower spinning; it feels risky and brave and underdog winning.  

It feels like redemption.  It feels like art.

{9} Finally sitting down to watch "It's A Wonderful Life".  Why oh why oh WHY have I never seen this movie before?  Favorite.  Want to watch it but don't own it? You can watch the whole thing, uninterrupted, right here.

{10} Tomorrow's freedom is today's surrender.  I heard it in a song the other day, and it's been with me ever since.  What does that mean for me?

{11} Doing less stuff.  Mostly because I don't have a choice this year - but this is a good read around the holidays for busy moms with little ones.  Just say 'no' to fussy stuff.

{12} A runner who, although we'll probably never meet, is dedicating her runs & workouts to our Carter boy.  This is a super fun organization - if you're a runner (or a special needs parent) - check it out!  They are in need of buddies (kids with special needs) - as lots of runners are waiting to be matched!

These shoes belong to Carter's runner, Andrea!
I almost cried when I saw this photo - somehow, this is so encouraging.
{13} Social media.  Sometimes I wish I could delete everything and forget about all of it.  And then I'm reminded that it's a community.  Much of my online community (again, people I'll probably never meet) has a common ground: special needs.  How hard would our journey be without this online community of people who get it? Groups like IDSC, Ukraine Adoption Groups, Inclusion & Down syndrome groups - filled with lots of people who get it.  And I'm reminded that we're not alone.

{14} Finally getting around to printing my blog book of our trip to Ukraine! Blog2Print is finally offering 20% off their blog books - if you're a blogger who prints, take advantage of this rare deal (they usually offer 15% off, but rarely 20%!). Also - a tip for bloggers who print - avoid using the photo signatures!  They take up tons of room in your book, and look silly on every page.  I've deleted mine from over 200 posts...manually.  Fun stuff. 

{15} You.  I don't know why you come back here to read about us, but you do.  And I'm grateful for that, friend.

{16} A husband who loves me and that spunky kid of ours.  He's pretty great, and I don't say it enough.  He's filled with Godly wisdom, too - just the other day he said "Our last name gives Carter everything he needs"  I'm still chewing on that one - and there's more to that story.  Maybe I'll share it someday.  Or maybe I'll keep it to myself.  Either way - it was a lightbulb moment for this tired, sometimes weary, mama.  Thanks, babe.  I really love ya.

{17} I could go on and on.  And that's something to be thankful for.

So there you have it.  A thankful/favorites post for your Thanksgiving reading enjoyment.  I hope you, too, have much to be thankful for this year.  I hope as you grab hands around the table with those you love most, you'll be reminded of just how much you have.

I hope you can say 'my cup runneth over'.  Mine does.

One Thing I Know For Sure: Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good.  His love endures forever!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, tonight is the night, isn't it???? Have fun! Maybe next month, or the month after, or the month after that...sometime! :-)

    And seriously, you have never seen It's a Wonderful Life before? It's my absolute favorite movie. I start crying right from the beginning as I think about what happens will affect things later. LOL

    Thankful for you!!! Hope you had a great weekend! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...